- 420 g cake flour
- 5 ml salt
- 50 ml sugar
- 10 g instant yeast
- 60 g margarine
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml warm milk
- 50 ml lukewarm water
- Castor sugar
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar together. Add the yeast and mix. Rub the margarine into the flour. Add the egg to the milk and whisk to mix.
- Add the milk mixture together with enough of the lukewarm water to the dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough well for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, divide into 16 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball or cut into ring doughnuts.
- Place on a lightly floured tray, oil the surface of each doughnut and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 35 – 40 minutes.
- Deep fry the doughnuts in hot oil 180°C. until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain. Roll in castor sugar or fill with whisked sweetened cream.