- 6 large chicken thighs, skinless and bone-in (2 1/2 pounds or just over 1 kg)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika (mild or smoked)
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper,(optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black cracked pepper
HONEY GARLIC BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup (6-oz | 170 g) honey
- 1/2 cup (125 g | 4-oz) unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chppped or minced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, (or cider vinegar)
- Good pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup water, or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour)
Pat dry boneless, skinless chicken thighs with paper towel. Combine 1/2 tablespoon of oil with rub ingredients. Season chicken, rubbing the mixture into the chicken.
OPTIONAL SEAR: Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large pan or skillet over medium heat. Sear chicken for 2 minutes each side to get a nice sear. (Do not cook chicken all the way through, this step is purely for flavour.)
Transfer chicken thighs to a 6-qt (litre) slow cooker bowl.
Melt butter in the same pan the chicken was in, scraping up any leftover browned bits in the pan. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a rapid simmer for 1 minute.
Remove from heat.
Pour sauce over chicken in slow cooker bowl, flipping thighs in the sauce to evenly coat. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH heat setting for 2-3 hours, or LOW heat setting for 5-6 hours. Baste with sauce half way through cooking.
Transfer chicken onto serving dish and tent loosely with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes.
While chicken is resting: pour juices from the slow cooker bowl into a pot large enough to fit the liquid. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Whisk 1/4 cup water (or broth) with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch/cornflour into a lumpfree slurry. Whisk into sauce and let simmer for a good 2-3 minutes, or until thickend into a syrup-like consistency. (Please note: sauce will thicken as it cools).
For a thicker sauce, repeat this step with 1 teaspoon extra cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water. Add into sauce and cook until thickened. Continue this step until reaching your desired consistency.
Place slow cooked chicken thighs on a lined baking sheet. Baste chicken with some of the thickened sauce, about 2 tablespoons per thigh. Broil briefly for 1-2 minutes each side to char the edges.
Slice chicken and serve drizzled with Honey Garlic Butter Sauce.