Skip to content
- 5 slices of bacon
- 5 chicken thighs
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 head small cabbage, chopped
- 2 15oz cans black eyed peas, drained
- In a braiser or dutch oven over medium high heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove it to a plate.
- Add chicken to the pot and brown 6-8 minutes skin side down. Flip and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken broth, stir in the carrots, mushrooms, thyme and broken up bacon. Nestle the chicken, skin side up) into the mixture.
- Cover and cook an hour to an hour and a quarter (see note 1), adding in the cabbage and black eyed peas with about half an hour remaining.