This hamburger steak is pan fried on the stove and smothered in thick brown gravy with onions. Learn the simple chef-inspired secret behind making ultra-juicy, restaurant quality steak patties!
– 2 Tablespoons olive oil- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef, 85% lean- 4 Tablespoons frozen butter- ½ cup yellow onion, very finely minced- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire- 3 cloves garlic, minced- Salt/Pepper
– 2 yellow onions, sliced into ¾ inch strings- 3 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, separated- 1 cup ckicken broth – 1 cup beef broth- 1 teaspoon onion powder- ½ teaspoon garlic powder- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce- 1/4 cup cold water + 3 tablespoons corn starch
Prepare the Steaks
– Shred the frozen butter.- Gently combine the minced onions, butter, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and the meat. Don’t overwork the meat or it will make the steaks tough.- Form into evenly sides oval steaks. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove from fridge and season each side with salt and pepper.- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (Cast iron will sear the meat the best.)- Add the hamburger steaks and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
Make the Gravy
– Decrease heat to medium-low. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter to the pan and add the onions. Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the onions soften and begin to caramelize.- Add the chicken broth, beef broth, onion powder, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Run a silicone spatula along the bottom of the pan to lift up any remnants of meat, this will give the gravy extra flavor.- Mix in the cornstarch and cold water until combined.- Bring the gravy to a boil and whisk in the cornstarch mixture.- Continue to whisk and decrease heat to medium.
Finish the Meal
– Add the steaks back to the pan and cover for 10 minutes, until cooked through. The internal temperature should be 160 degrees.- Swirl in the remaining 1 TBS cold butter at the end. This is a chef-inspired finishing technique that adds a velvety finish to the gravy.- Spoon the gravy on top. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with mashed potatoes and rosted carrots!
Delicious ingredient additions:
– Cooked and crumbled bacon is wonderful to work into the meat.- Top the steaks with Swiss cheese and let it melt before serving.- Add mushrooms to the gravy if desired.- For creamier gravy, or to increase the quantity of gravy, mix in a can of cream of mushroom soup at the end with an optional dab of room temperature sour cream!
Calories: 695kcal, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 32g, Fat: 55g, Saturated Fat: 26g, Cholesterol: 173mg, Sodium: 753mg, Potassium: 711mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 612IU, Vitamin C: 11mg, Calcium: 70mg, Iron: 4mg
One Reply to “Hamburger Steak (with Onion Gravy!)”
This is a keeper!