• ¼ cup rice wine or cream sherry
• ½ cup water
• ¼ cup soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• ½ tablespoon grated fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
• 1 star anise
• 1 green onion
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Heat until boiling, reduce heat to medium and continue boiling, partially covered, until reduced by half. Remove star anise and green onion and discard. Transfer sauce into a small bowl. Set aside.
• 2 tablespoons light olive oil
• 1 green onion, sliced
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 small onion, thinly sliced
• ½ green pepper, sliced into strips
• ¼ cup shredded carrots
• ½ cup shredded cabbage
• ¼ pound beef or pork tenderloin tips, cut into strips
• ¼ pound prawns, peeled, deveined, and cut into three pieces
• ½ cup blanched mung bean sprouts
• 2 cups freshly steamed Japanese rice, keep warm
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok. Add green onion and egg and stir cook until set but still slightly runny, transfer into a plate and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil, add the onion and saute until soft. Add the meat and prawns, stir fry until they change color. Stir in the carrots, green pepper, and cabbage and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked egg.
Add the rice, pour in enough sauce to coat the rice evenly, about 6 tablespoons, and mix well. Taste and add more sauce if necessary. Stir fry for 1 minute. Gently stir in the mung bean sprouts. Serve immediately in individual bowls with extra sauce on the side.